Checkout this informative infographic from Rehab Today, titled, “The Scheduling of Marijuana”. The infographic opens with the following intro statement:
Bunched together with the likes of heroin and MDMA, marijuana is currently classified as a Schedule I Controlled Substance in the United States. But as the research supporting te benefits and safety of marijuana continues to amass and public opinion mounts for decriminalization – the pressure on the federal government to reclassify marijuana grows. Take a look at marijuana’s current classification, the evidence supporting both its medical benefits and safety and what states have already implemented a medical marijuana program.
It proceeds to point out some very useful facts to share with family and friends leading up to November’s critical election for Colorado:
- Estimated tax revenue and law enforcement savings that reclassification could generate: $20 Billion
- In the 70′s, The Schafer Commission concluded it’s studies, recommending the complete decriminalization of marijuana. President Nixon went against all scientific evidence and rejected their recommendation –according to him, marijuana is more dangerous than meth, a schedule II substance!
- An individual would have to consume 1,500 pounds of cannabis within 15 minutes to reach fatal levels.
- 80% of Americans support medical marijuana.
- Diseases and conditions that benefit from medical marijuana: Alzheimer’s Disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Chronic Pain, Cancer, Depression, Dystonia, Fibromyalgia, Gastrointestinal Disorders, Hepatitis C, HIV, Hypertension, Incontinence, Multiple Sclerosis, Osteoporosis, Sleep Apnea, Tourette’s Syndrome
- Annual Recreational Substance Deaths:
- Tobacco: 440,000
- Alcohol: 46,000
- Marijuana: 0